Thursday, October 9, 2014

John Snyder


 John Snyder  

After  graduating from LJHS in 1964, and attending San Diego State College for a year, I headed for Alaska in June of 1965 intending to stay and work only for the summer. Well, my summer stay in Alaska extended for the next 42 years.  

I worked mostly as a Teamster truck driver and hauled loads all over the state including the ice roads on the North Slope and Arctic Ocean. I obtained my private pilots license ( land and sea ratings) in July 1969 and flew my Piper Super Cub bush plane all over Alaska.  

One of the highlights of my time in Alaska was building a cabin on a remote lake 80 miles NW of Anchorage. After building the cabin in 1982, I decided to take a “sabbatical” and live there full time for the next 5 years.  I lived “off the grid” experiencing first hand the true Alaska bush life style. My transportation in and out was my Super Cub airplane on wheels, and wheel skis in the winter. 

After retiring in January of 2007, my wife Sheila and I decided to relocate to Vancouver Island in British Columbia. We now live with our dog Tal in Fanny Bay a small community on the east side of Vancouver Island. We’re enjoying our retirement and volunteering on numerous community service projects.  




No comments:

Post a Comment