Thursday, October 9, 2014

Buffy Masten

Buffy Masten

I was thinking back to growing up in a sleepy beach town called La Jolla. It certainly wasn't the trendy jewel it is today. I, pretty much, went all the way from elementary school through high school with the same people. I will send you a picture of my first grade elementary school picture. I can identify most of my classmates, I think. Perhaps I have a few names wrong, & some I just can't recognize. Maybe you or others can put names to faces. When did you start school in La Jolla? 
> > When I left High School I obtained a BS in Nursing at SDSU. After graduation I worked for a while at Mercy Hospital in San Diego, in the Operating Room & living in Mission Beach. I then moved to Aspen, Colo for a year. From there I moved to San Francisco where I worked in the OR at Kaiser Hospital. I saved enough money to buy land in Sandpoint, Idaho. I also met my husband, who was working on his Masters Degree in Political Science, in SF. He & I moved to Sandpoint where we built a cabin on our property, using only a chain saw for power. We couldn't make a go of it by living off the land, so we moved to a cabin on Hauser Lake in Idaho, near the Spokane, Wash. border. I worked for a MD in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho while Glen, my husband, worked at Gonzaga College in Spokane. He then decided to pursue his PHD so we moved to Pullman, Wash for 5 years. I continued to work in the OR there. After obtaining his PHD in Poli Sci we moved to Sioux City, Iowa when he accepted a job at a college there. I continued to work as an OR nurse. In 1992 Glen accepted a job at Old Dominion University in Norfolk, Va.& we moved close to the university, where we are still living. I continued to do OR work. I retired at age 63 after a bout with breast cancer, & am now doing great. Glen & I decided not to have any children (we ARE the children). Instead we have spent many happy moments traveling the world. You might see a wanderlust in us....Our last trip was to Italy this year, to celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary. We have had many pets, & are now parents to two cute rescue dogs. 
It is hard to believe we are all in our 60's now. We were such awkward young school kids. I really didn't "grow up" until sometime in my 40's. My husband & I are orphans, as both of our parents are gone. We are still having a lot of fun with our lives now. My hobbies are gardening, reading & traveling. We always have music playing in our home.Our favorite music is Rock, although we also like Classic, Blues, New Age, Musicals & Bluegrass. Our favorite TV shows right now is Suits & Vikings, but we like all the forensic & mystery shows too. 
I was the founder & developer of Norfolk's first fully fenced & functional dog park. We have lighting, water, a kiosk, & doggie art on the fences. Many dog parks have been established since then, & I am quite proud of this.
I am including a few pictures for your memory book.They are all from our Italy trip this year. Thanks for doing this, Art. I hope that you get a good response as I am curious about where everyone's lives have taken them. Take Care, Elizabeth (Buffy) Masten







No comments:

Post a Comment