Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Marion Bottomley

Marion Bottomley


Right after college at UC Berkeley I married John Bottomley (Class of 63).  Two weeks later we moved to New York City and at that time I lost contact with most of my classmates.  We see John Schroeder frequently and he keeps us posted on some of our old friends.

We we returned to California we settled in the Bay Area.  We raised two boys and a girl in Orinda.  They played all the sports and the boys excelled at water polo.  Those were the fun times.  In l989 tragedy struck when our middle child died.  He was going to UCLA to play water polo and died suddenly of a heart virus.  We all recovered with the support of dear friends.

In 1999 John retired and we moved to Carmel.  Carmel is like La Jolla without the traffic and close enough to our kids to visit frequently.  John and I are fortunate enough to have great health for our age.  We hike Big Sur area frequently, run our dog on the beach every day and  play TONS of golf.

Ever since high school photography has been an interest of mine.  I took several classes and workshops and now enter competitions with floral and landscape images.  I am a member of Garden Club of America and travel all over the country to judge the photography in their flower shows.

In high school I never appreciated the benefits of athletics and did not have it together enough to participate in any sports.  Now sports are central to our lives.  All in our family are avid skiers and last year I achieved my ultimate dream.  We have four grandkids ranging in ages from 12 to 3......we skied  together from top to the bottom of the slopes with our 3 year old leading the way.

I am looking forward to the October reunion this weekend.  Thank you to the committee that pulled us all together.

 Hiking Mt. Fitzroy, Patagonia
Bottomley Family


No comments:

Post a Comment