Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Jerry Welch

Jerry Welch


In 1971 graduated from Marquette dental school with DDS.
Moved to Maui in 1998 after traveling around the world for a number of years including driving for six months up the center of Africa. Got married to Robin Holliday whom for point of interest is also one of closest living relatives to Doc Holliday of OK corral fame, she came without guns though. Picture attached. In 99 I designed and worked as my own contractor in building my house, picture attached. I did a real lot of yoga for a number of years and traveled back and forth to India, then took up windsurfing and now back to bicycling like I rode my bike to school as never seemed able to get my cars out of Mr. Soriano's auto shop. Last year I won the masters division of 'The Maui Stage Race' picture attached of finish.

31 years ago I actually become clean and sober and so life has been different for me than when in HS when I started down some curvy roads. I have been active in the recovery community and have been to 12 step meetings in over 20 different countries.

In 2008 I received Maui's Palaka award sort of communities version of citizen of the year



Cameron Center presents The Palaka Award to Jerry Welch for 13 years of volunteer service at Aloha House, Inc.
palaka07Wailuku, Maui, HI - Jerry Welch D.D.S became the fourth recipient of The Michael H. Lyons, II Palaka Award at J. Walter Cameron Center's annual meeting held last Friday at the Center's auditorium.
For 13 years, Dr. Welch has volunteered his services on the Board of Directors with Aloha House, Inc. and its sister agency Malama Family Recovery Center. He has served many different terms in various roles: president, secretary, treasurer, and vice president. Aloha House reportedly was in severe financial difficulty when he came on the Board. Over the years, however, he has encouraged diversification of programs and agency mission so as to never be in a position of having to close down from being too invested in just a few programs.
Dr. Welch has championed the creation of a medical detox program (separate from the hospital) for alcohol and other drugs, stated Jud Cunningham, Executive Director of Aloha House Inc. who nominated Dr. Welch.

I have left out some family stuff, parents dead, sister happily living in Colorado and my daughter died in mid 30's but have adopted one now in twenties living near me on Maui.











No comments:

Post a Comment